Acute Myeloid Leukemia
For the Caregiver
Your role as a caregiver will change as your loved one’s needs change. These steps will get you started:
- Get the OK to receive medical information. Make sure you are authorized to communicate with your loved one’s medical team, access medical information, use the online portal, renew prescriptions and more.
- Set up a system for managing treatments. Keep track of when medications and treatments are given. Note any side effects that occur and whether anything helps relieve them.
- Ensure you have reliable transportation. Plan for taking your loved one to and from appointments, running errands and more. Ask if telehealth appointments are an option.
- Ask questions and take notes. Keep a running list of questions for your loved one’s medical team that you can ask during or between appointments as necessary.
- Practice self-care. Keep up with your medical appointments, social relationships, hobbies and exercise plan. Share your feelings with friends, a therapist or spiritual leader. Consider connecting with other caregivers.