Sweet Potato Burritos
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Water, apple juice, or low-sodium broth, as needed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 8 6 inch corn, brown rice or Teff tortillas
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (alternative option: Daiya dairy-free cheese shreds)
- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Cilantro or parsley, to garnish
In a large skillet, heat oil, sauté sweet potatoes and onion until tender. Add apple juice or low-sodium broth, as needed, to prevent sticking. Add beans, cumin and cinnamon to pan, and heat mixture through. If desired, warm tortillas for 10-20 seconds in the microwave. Fill each tortilla shell with about 2/3 cup sweet potato mixture, and top with up to 2 Tbsp. cheese (optional), 1 Tbsp. Greek yogurt, 1 Tbsp. salsa and cilantro.
For oven-baked burritos: Preheat oven to 350°F. Assemble burritos (except for yogurt, salsa and cilantro), and place in baking dish and cover with lid or foil. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tortillas are warmed. Remove from oven and top with yogurt, salsa and cilantro.
Recipe from Simply in Season Cookbook by Lind and Hurst.